Despite usually being commended on the wiki page Install Additional Software Safely, installation of Chromium using APT is currently discouraged. This is because the Debian (This was resolved. [archive])
buster version of Chromium is outdated and comes with security vulnerabilities which where reported being exploited in the wild. 
One option might be to install using flatpak from
flathub. Special instructions are also required in this case.
flatpak from Debian backports. 
flathub repository. 
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub org.chromium.Chromium
sudo chmod -s $(which bwrap)
sudo sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1
flatpak run org.chromium.Chromium
- Dev/Kicksecure Default Browser
- Chromium Browser for Kicksecure Discussions (not Whonix) [archive]
- Google Chrome Repository Insecurity
- https://forums.whonix.org/t/chromium-browser-for-kicksecure-discussions-not-whonix/10388/54 [archive]
- https://www.theregister.com/2020/11/04/google_chrome_critical_updates/ [archive]
- https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-patches-two-more-chrome-zero-days/ [archive]
- https://web.archive.org/web/20201109070427/https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2020-16009 [archive]
- https://email@example.com&q=subject:%22Is+chromium+updated%5C%3F%22&o=newest [archive]
- https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2020-16013 [archive]
- https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2020-16017 [archive]
error: Failed to install org.chromium.Chromium: app/org.chromium.Chromium/x86_64/stable needs a later flatpak version (1.8.2)
- Users should Prefer Packages from Debian Stable Repository, but using backports is better than manual software installation or using third party package managers since this prefers APT. To contain the risk, Non-Qubes-Whonix ™ users might want to consider using Multiple Whonix-Workstation ™ and Qubes-Whonix ™ users might want to consider using Multiple Qubes-Whonix ™ TemplateVMs or Software Installation in a TemplateBasedVM.
- Most often this step applies before attempting major Whonix ™ upgrades; upgrade instructions are also made available at that time (see Stay Tuned).
- https://flatpak.org/setup/Debian/ [archive]
- https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.chromium.Chromium [archive]
TODO: research. Perhaps useful for Qubes?
flatpak --user install org.chromium.Chromium
flatpak run org.chromium.Chromium
Your Flatpak version does not support the expose-pids flag,
which means that Chromium is unable to run. This generally happens if your distro's bubblewrap installation is setuid
instead of using user namespaces.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2021 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)
The personal opinions of moderators or contributors to the Whonix ™ project do not represent the project as a whole.