< Dev(Redirected from Dev/Other Virtualization Platforms)
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Other Virtualization Platforms
- 3 VirtualBox
Whonix ™ is available for:
In an ideal world, Whonix ™ would support all Virtualization Platforms. Theoretically it could be done using libvirt. Practically libvirt is out of question. libvirt-users Does libvirt abstract each and any vm specific command? Libvirt does not (yet) abstract some commands Whonix ™ depends on.
Other Virtualization Platforms
In theory, Whonix ™ could run inside any virtualizer, because its build scripts are very modular and extensible. In reality, Whonix ™ has no man power to test other virtualizers. As soon as contributors join the project and maintain support for other virtualizers, support for them can most likely be easily added.
Whonix ™ would need a maintainer to support the other virtualization platform.
- Someone who runs those Test, LeakTests and tests from Protocol-Leak-Protection_and_Fingerprinting-Protection.
- Someone who otherwise looks around if everything is sane.
- Someone who creates, signs, uploads .ova images for the other virtualization platform (such as VMware, KVM, etc.).
Partially Finished Attempts
VirtualBox missing features
The following is non-ideal for verifiable builds, because we have to convert to vdi first:
- export VM using VDI instead of VMDK?: seems not possible.
- Mount VMDK on Debian jessie?: seems not possible.
The following is non-ideal, because we can not warn when host operating systems are being used we don't think are the right tool for hosting Whonix ™ VMs:
- Can a guest find out its host operating system?: seems not possible.
- VirtualBox uses VMDK version 3. This is non-ideal, because working with these images is difficult.
- Converting these images is difficult.
qemu-img version 1.6.1 (qemu-img: 'image' uses a vmdk feature which is not supported by this qemu version: VMDK version 3, which is a known issue in qemu.As per ) fails with: this, QEMU version equal or bigger than 2.8 should be capable to work with VMDK version 3 disks. TODO: try
- Therefore it is required to convert them with VBoxManage to .vdi first. ( )
Therefore the Free guestmount doesn't support mounting VMDK version 3 as well (because it internally uses qemu-img).(Still true?) It requires proprietary software to mount them, such as the proprietary nbdkit plugin vddk. We're not aware of a Free Software alternative yet.(Still true?)
- Converting these images is difficult.
VirtualBox no longer in Debian main
- "Virtualbox ships a BIOS that requires Watcom to compile from real sources,precompiled copy they ship as well is free but is not the preferred form for modification." http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2013/08/msg00106.html
- This is unrelated to
VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack, which is proprietary, and which was never in Debian.
Arguments for keeping VirtualBox Support
- KVM is not available to Windows users.
- Simplicity, as in: VirtualBox has a VM import GUI feature.
We have a Whonix ™ Windows Installer.(Unmaintained.)
- Available to users not owning computer providing hardware virtualization. (KVM requires that. QEMU may or may not but is unsupported.)
- Due to Windows users and simplicity it leads to greater popularity, which in theory attracts more users, developers, auditors, payments, etc and is therefore good for the overall health of the project.
- Some Windows/VirtualBox users experimenting with their first Linux (Whonix ™) will one day become users who mainly use Linux as their host operating system.
Why Use KVM Over VirtualBox?
swap https://phabricator.whonix.org/T869#18263 https://phabricator.whonix.org/T911 add workspace switcher https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-virtualbox-15-0-0-0-7-debian-buster-based-testers-wanted/7131/7 add pulseaudio plugin https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-virtualbox-15-0-0-0-7-debian-buster-based-testers-wanted/7131/9 https://forums.whonix.org/t/whonix-xfce-development/6213/79?u=patrick sdwdate time sources Tor Browser 8.0.8: ok Tor Browser 8.5a10: exit code 139 when closing normally https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/30181 /lib/systemd/system-generators/live-config-getty-generator failed with exit status 127.
VBoxManage modifyvm Whonix-Workstation ™-XFCE --nested-hw-virt on
wine msiexec /i wine-mono-4.7.4.msi
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. assembly:PresentationFramework, Version=18.104.22.168, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 type:<unknown type> member:<none>
WINEARCH=win32 winecfg wineboot --init winetricks --unattended dotnet40 corefonts
No user support in comments. See Support.
Comments will be deleted after some time. Specifically after comments have been addressed in form of wiki enhancements. See Wiki Comments Policy.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)