Follow Whonix ™ Developments
(Redirected from Whonix News)
It is absolutely crucial to subscribe to and read the latest Whonix news category 'important-news' to stay in touch with ongoing developments. This way users benefit from notifications concerning important security vulnerabilities, potential upgrade issues and improved releases which address identified issues, like those affecting the updater or other core elements.
Whonix News Forums
For user convenience, there are multiple avenues for receiving news. Choose the most suitable option below.
- Whonix Important News Forum Tag [archive] (v3 onion [archive]) - Only critical information is reported. This includes security vulnerabilities and new stable Whonix versions. It is best suited for people with very limited time and interest in Whonix development and news.
- Whonix News Forums [archive] (v3 onion [archive]) - This includes everything including important news and has a relaxed posting policy. Testers-only and developers Whonix versions are announced here, along with the publishing of news about updated articles, new features, future features, development, calls for testing, general project ideas and so on.
- Whonix Newsletter [archive] - Very infrequently.
- Other choices. 
If time-constrained, users should at least read the Whonix Important News Forum Tag. Follow the Whonix News Forums if detailed anonymity / privacy / security-related issues are of interest, or to follow recent Whonix developments.
Operating System Updates
As strongly recommended in the Security Guide, it is necessary to regularly check for operating system updates on the host operating system, and both the Whonix-Workstation ™ and Whonix-Gateway ™.
Social Media Profiles
As some users will disregard this advice, messages from the Whonix Feature Blog are most times posted on Whonix Twitter Profile [archive] and the Whonix Facebook Profile [archive]. However, they are most times not mirrored to other Whonix social media profiles.
If Whonix source code updates are of interest, subscribe to code changes.
Tor bootstrap refers to the process of attempting to connect to the Tor network (successfully or unsuccessfully). Familiar output related to this process includes: "Tor connecting xx percent...", "Tor not connected", "Tor connected" and so on. Bootstrapping does not refer to related concepts, such as whether connections are "secure", "not secure", "anonymous" or "not anonymous".
Tor Browser's built-in update check mechanism also works in Whonix ™, so use it whenever updates become available. 
whonixcheck verifies that the Whonix system is up-to-date and that everything is in proper working order.
Users can manually run whonixcheck to check the system status by following the steps below.
How to Manually Run whonixcheck
Depending on the system specifications, whonixcheck may take up to a few minutes to run. Assuming everything is working as intended, the output should highlight each INFO heading in green (not red). A successful whonixcheck process results in output similar to the sample below.
Sample whonixcheck Output
[INFO] [whonixcheck] anon-whonix | Whonix-Workstation | whonix-ws-15 TemplateBased AppVM | Sat 09 Nov 2019 03:40:10 AM UTC
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Connected to Tor.
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Whonix APT Repository: Enabled.
When the Whonix team releases BUSTER-PROPOSED-UPDATES updates, they will be AUTOMATICALLY installed (when you run apt-get dist-upgrade) along with updated packages from the Debian team. Please read http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Trust [archive] to understand the risk.
If you want to change this, use:
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Debian Package Update Check: Checking for software updates via apt-get... ( Documentation: http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Update [archive] )
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Debian Package Update Check Result: No updates found via apt-get.
[INFO] [whonixcheck] Please donate!
See: http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/Donate [archive]
Whonix Repository Testers
Whonix requires a critical mass of users to properly test planned updates by enabling the stable-proposed-updates or testers repository.  Otherwise, bugs might go undiscovered and be inadvertently introduced into the stable repository.
To ensure a stable Whonix system is available at all times, willing testers should:
- Create new Whonix-Workstation ™ and Whonix-Gateway ™ TemplateVMs solely for testing.
- Enable the stable-proposed-updates or testers repository via the Whonix repository tool.
- Platform-specific advice:
Then perform normal user activities.
Please only report bugs after first searching relevant Whonix forums and developer portals for the problem.
- Whonix Important News Forum Tag RSS [archive] (v3 onion [archive]) .
- Whonix News Forums RSS [archive] (v3 onion [archive]) .
- Subscribe to the Whonix News Forums [archive] by e-mail. After registering at the Whonix Forums [archive], specific categories of interest such as the Whonix News Forums [archive] can be selected.
Whonix News Forums posts are mirrored to the Whonix Development Mailing List(broken [archive])
- Whonix Social Media Profiles
- The only exception is Tor Browser running in a DisposableVM in Qubes-Whonix ™, since the update will not persist.
right-click on the Whonix VM you want to check→
select "Run command in qube"
Type each command below, followed by the
- The developers repository is only recommended for experts or those in touch with Whonix developers.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix ™, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation. Policy of Whonix Website and Whonix Chat and Policy On Nonfreedom Software applies.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2020 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix ™ is a trademark. Whonix ™ is a licensee [archive] of the Open Invention Network [archive]. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix ™ itself. (Why?)