|About this Anbox Page|
|Support Status||see Status below|
Works on Debian stretch on real hardware.
Does not work inside Whonix VirtualBox most likely due to anbox issues inside VirtualBox.
Small chance it will work better once Whonix is based on Debian buster.
Install anbox and newer kernel. 
Reboot required. 
From Start Menu
Start menu ->
From Command Line
anbox launch --package=org.anbox.appmgr --component=org.anbox.appmgr.AppViewActivity
user@host:~$ anbox check-features Your computer does meet all requirements to run Anbox user@host:~$ sudo anbox check-features Your computer does meet all requirements to run Anbox
env ANBOX_LOG_LEVEL=debug anbox session-manager libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate [ 2018-12-31 12:16:33] [Renderer.cpp:168@initialize] Using a surfaceless EGL context [ 2018-12-31 12:16:33] [Renderer.cpp:193@initialize] Failed: Missing egl_image related extension(s) [ 2018-12-31 12:16:33] [service.cpp:41@Service] Successfully acquired DBus service name Stack trace (most recent call last) in thread 3080: #7 Object "[0xffffffffffffffff]", at 0xffffffffffffffff, in #6 Object "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6", at 0x7f324fdb8ace, in clone #5 Object "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0", at 0x7f3251e76493, in #4 Object "anbox", at 0x56263e972600, in emugl::Thread::thread_main(void*) #3 Object "anbox", at 0x56263e89832c, in RenderThread::main() #2 Object "anbox", at 0x56263e96d7a3, in renderControl_decoder_context_t::decode(void*, unsigned long, IOStream*) #1 Object "anbox", at 0x56263e8f558e, in #0 Object "anbox", at 0x56263e8f8555, in RendererConfigList::getPackInfo(int*, int*) const Segmentation fault (Address not mapped to object [(nil)]) Segmentation fault
No user support in comments. See Support.
Comments will be deleted after some time. Specifically after comments have been addressed in form of wiki enhancements. See Wiki Comments Policy.
This is a wiki. Want to improve this page? Help is welcome and volunteer contributions are happily considered! Read, understand and agree to Conditions for Contributions to Whonix, then Edit! Edits are held for moderation.
Copyright (C) 2012 - 2019 ENCRYPTED SUPPORT LP. Whonix is a trademark. Whonix is a licensee of the Open Invention Network. Unless otherwise noted, the content of this page is copyrighted and licensed under the same Freedom Software license as Whonix itself. (Why?)
- It is required to install a newer linux kernel because it contains kernel modules required by anbox. No longer required on Debian buster and above.
- Users should Prefer Packages from Debian Stable Repository, but using backports is better than manual software installation or using third party package managers since this prefers APT. To contain the risk, Non-Qubes-Whonix users might want to consider using Multiple Whonix-Workstations and Qubes-Whonix users might want to consider using Multiple Qubes-Whonix TemplateVMs or Software Installation in a TemplateBasedVM.
- Most often this step applies before attempting major Whonix upgrades; upgrade instructions are also made available at that time (see Stay Tuned).
- anbox-container-manager.service expects this file name.
- So new kernel gets load. No longer required on Debian buster.